You Are What You Eat…Choose Wisely!
In the Habits of Health® Transformational System, clearing your pantry is one of the first suggestions Dr. A makes when creating your leptogenic world (Element 07). Cooking healthy Lean & Green meals and choosing Fuelings at home is much easier if your kitchen is stocked with healthy options.
We know that reaching your health goals starts with making smart choices at the grocery store so we wanted to share tips for optimizing your surroundings and making healthy decisions at the market and at home:
- Start fresh. To eliminate unhealthy options and make room for all your healthy foods, begin by clearing your pantry, freezer, and refrigerator. Get rid of white bread, refined cereals, processed foods, and junk food.
- Plan ahead. Think about all of the meals you need to prepare during the next week and the ingredients you’ll need to purchase prior to going to the store. You can even save time while you’re in the store by grouping your ingredients that are in the same aisle or department. Preparing in advance will keep you on track and will prevent you from buying items that are unhealthy or unnecessary.
- Fuel first. It’s important to avoid going to the grocery store while hungry. Eat a Fueling to avoid making unhealthy decisions and keep a bottle of water nearby in case you have a craving.
- Shop the perimeter. The outer aisles of the grocery store are where you’ll find the freshest and least processed foods, like leafy green vegetables and lean proteins. Avoid the center aisles which contain processed and high-calorie items.
- Shop seasonal. When vegetables are in season, they are often more abundant and budget friendly. Broccoli, kale, and cucumbers are a few options that are especially in season during the fall.
Remember, when in doubt, use Stop. Challenge. Choose. If we take a step back and become more mindful of the situation, we are more likely to make decisions that align with our health goals.
Ask me, your OPTAVIA Coach, for other tips to optimize your surroundings on your journey to Lifelong Transformation, One Healthy Habit at a Time®.