|Although many of us associate fitness with healthy eating and healthy motion, the way we think and feel can have a major influence on our health. Positive thinking includes encouraging self-talk and optimism. There are many benefits of having an optimistic mindset, including effective stress management, increased focus, and more confidence. Here are some tips for building a healthy relationship with your thoughts:
- Positive affirmations. Positive affirmations can relax you and control stress. Instead of saying, “I can’t do this”, try “I can handle this by taking one step at a time.” This can help break down a seemingly overwhelming task into manageable steps.
- Focus on the present. Some sources of negativity can stem from a memory, recent event, or the uncertain future. Try focusing on the current moment instead. You will likely realize that the situation is not as bad as you’ve imagined it.
- Redirect your thoughts. Create happy thoughts, envision your happy place, or give yourself positive feedback to help keep negative thoughts in check. This can help redirect your thoughts when you start to feel stressed or anxious.
- Believe you will succeed. It can be helpful to visualize yourself reaching your goal or completing your project successfully. Picturing exactly what you’d like to accomplish can help you feel more positive and can encourage you to reach your goal.
- Give yourself credit. Instead of focusing on what could go wrong, acknowledge what’s going right. Give yourself credit for your progress and allow yourself to feel confident about your accomplishments.
While we may not be able to change certain factors about lives, such as where we live, our jobs, or families, we can utilize these techniques to challenge negative thoughts and approach our frustrations with positivity.
Ask me, your OPTAVIA Coach, about other ways to build a happy relationship with your thoughts on your journey to Lifelong Transformation, One Healthy Habit at a Time™.