With a big weekend of Stay-At-Home recreation, cooking and grilling, warm weather, and tons of outdoor fun is expected!
Though it can sometimes be difficult to stay on track during this season, there are plenty of healthy choices available, and by having a plan for the upcoming weekend, you can stay on course while enjoying yourself at the same time.
Follow these tips for this fun weekend:
- Stick with lean proteins. Stick to lean cuts of protein like sirloin tips, flank steak, skinless chicken breast, and fish. Lean cuts are high in protein but lower in fat and calories. Make sure that whatever protein you choose is not battered and fried.
- Remember to put vegetables first. When filling up your plate, think vegetables! Skip the dip and fill up on non-starchy vegetables like salad, asparagus, broccoli, celery, and cucumbers. Non-starchy vegetables are low in calories, a great source of fiber, and should be the majority of your plate, whether cooked or raw.
- Drink plenty of water. Drinking water is always important, but it is essential during the summer months when the weather is warmer. Keep your water bottle handy and filled to help you stay hydrated. Avoid alcohol and sugary drinks, which add extra calories, stimulate your appetite, and cause dehydration.
- Never forget the power of creativity. Opt for a bun-less burger or use lettuce as the bun. Put your protein and vegetables on a kebob stick and grill them for a different taste. The healthy combinations are endless!
- Focus on fun activities. Instead of making food the focus of the event, have fun enjoying time together with a new activity! Start up a game of backyard kickball or badminton!
Ask me, your OPTAVIA Coach, about other tips for staying on Plan during the Memorial Day holiday to ensure you continue your journey to Lifelong Transformation, One Healthy Habit at a Time®.
Reprint from Optavia Weekly Newsletter of 5/17/20