|The last five elements have set you up with a clear understanding of where you are currently in terms of your health and identifying your motivation. Now we’ll explore how improving weight management is a byproduct of a simple approach to creating overall health and wellbeing. First, you’ll need to assess the current phase of your weight management. There are three different measurements to evaluate your current phase in your weight management: body mass index, waist circumference, and body fat.
- Body mass index (BMI). BMI is a measure of body fat based on height and weight. When combined with your waist circumference, it determines if you’re at a healthy weight.
- Waist circumference. Waist circumference allows us to evaluate organ fat accumulation and indicates if extra fat poses a health challenge. To correctly measure waist circumference, stand and place a tape measure around your middle, just above your hip bone, and measure your waist after exhaling.
- Body fat. Tracking body fat helps you determine if you are in fact losing fat and not muscle. OPTAVIA’s Programs are designed to minimize muscle loss.
The current state of your weight is exactly that—a phase that you will move through as you continue to improve your weight management. Don’t get caught up on numbers of your weight, BMI, and body fat percentage. Instead, keep these three key points in mind when working toward a healthy weight:
- It’s more than weight loss. Your focus should be on building health and wellbeing. These lifestyle changes will motivate you each day.
- Use structural tension. Use structural tension to help you transition from your current weight to your desired weight. This will determine the actions you need to take to make this a reality.
- Implement the Habits of Health. Your healthy weight will derive from implementing new healthy habits that will make managing your weight much easier. Unlike willpower, habits transform your old actions into new choices that support your long-term health.
Ask me, your OPTAVIA Coach, about other tips to improve your weight management on your journey to Lifelong Transformation, One Healthy Habit at a Time® and stay tuned for next week’s newsletter featuring Element 07 of Your LifeBook in the new Habits of Health Transformational System—creating a new leptogenic world.
Still need to order your NEW Habits of Health® Transformational System? Let’s connect today!