- The seasons of celebration bring joyful times for gathering with family and friends, but it can also bring fatty foods and sugary sweets along with it. It can be difficult to stay on track with the smell of Aunt Mary’s famous apple pie lingering in the background, but with some organization and planning, you can set yourself up for success. Here are some tips for staying on Plan at your next party:
- Have a Fueling first. If you arrive to the party hungry, it can be more difficult to stick to healthy habits. Make sure to have a healthy OPTAVIA Fueling prior to leaving the house.
- Eat vegetables. When filling up your plate, think vegetables! Skip the dip and fill up on non-starchy vegetables like salad, asparagus, broccoli, celery, and cucumbers. Non-starchy vegetables are low in calories, a great source of fiber, and should take up at least half of your plate.
- Drink water. Staying hydrated helps manage your appetite. Keep your water bottle filled and avoid alcohol and sugary drinks, which add extra calories, stimulate your appetite, and can promote dehydration.
- Use a small plate.The size of your plate can influence how much you eat. Using a smaller plate can make your portions look larger and make your brain feel that you’re eating more.
- Bring a healthy dish. If you’re a guest, bring your favorite healthy side dish to share, and if you are hosting, provide plenty of healthy options for others to try. That way you know there’s a healthy option for you to enjoy.
- Focus on family and friends. Instead of hanging out by the buffet table, take your conversation with a friend or family member to another room. That way you’ll have great conversation while avoiding mindless snacking.
Ask me, your OPTAVIA Coach, about other tips for thriving on Plan at a holiday party on your journey to Lifelong Transformation, One Healthy Habit at a Time®.