|With the school year coming to an end for the summer, kids will have more free time and parents may hear the dreaded words “I’m bored”.
However, it is important to follow the guidelines that are in Element 12 of Your LifeBook. In this element, Co-founder and independent OPTAVIA Coach, Dr. Wayne Scott Andersen, addresses why limiting specific fruits and slowly introducing an exercise routine during this initial phase of your journey is important:
- Fruit Most fruits have a relatively high glycemic index and deliver a high carbohydrate load, which can take you out of a fat-burning state, but this is just for the initial portion of your journey! Fruit will be reintroduced after the weight-loss phase to help you maintain a healthy weight.
- Exercise During the first 2-3 weeks on Plan, your body enters a gentle fat-burning state.As it switches fuel sources, using fat as its primary energy source, you may incorporate mild to moderate exercise as your body adjusts. Over the following few weeks, you can add more activity to increase your healthy motion.
In addition to the points above, use this checklist as you work towards reaching a healthy weight:
- Utilize Your LifeBook. Your LifeBook is filled with critical information intended to support your transformation and to help you to be successful! Utilize the tracking sheets and exercises to track your progress to optimal health.
- Eat every two to three hours. Eating every two to three hours allows carbohydrates and protein to be spaced evenly throughout the day. Your body can better regulate blood sugar levels and support weight loss when you maintain a regular meal schedule. Plan your five Fuelings and Lean & Green Meal for the next day in advance, making it easier to adhere to a schedule. Check the OPTAVIA App for plan approved recipes to make in advance.
- Get plenty of rest. During the first few days of fat burn, you may feel slightly tired as your body adjusts. Make sure you practice healthy sleeping habits such as getting at least eight hours of sleep in a comfortable environment, without electronics or other distractors like television.
- Drink water. We recommend drinking at least 64 oz. of water each day to stay hydrated. Opting for water instead of other beverages reduces calorie and sugar intake.
Connect with me, your independent OPTAVIA Coach, to discuss how we can partner to define eating strategies that will lead you to a life of optimal health and wellbeing.