|We’ve all heard sayings like “look on the bright side” or, “view the glass half full, instead of half empty,” but why is positive thinking and understanding your emotions necessary for achieving optimal health and wellbeing?
Positive thinking and proper control over your emotions can lead to more confidence, an improved mood, and combat adverse thoughts, which often leads to unwanted stress and can contribute to health problems.
Recognizing how our emotions are structured is the next step toward transforming unhealthy habits into healthy habits when faced with a difficult or uncomfortable situation.
Create a positive mindset and better understand your emotions with these tips:
- Positive affirmations. Positive self-talk can calm and control stress. Try starting your day by talking in a positive way. Saying, “I can do this”, and “I will try my best”, or “I can handle this by taking one step at a time”, will help keep your mindset open to developing positive thinking that eventually leads into healthy habits.
- Turn “setbacks” into “set forwards”. Instead of focusing on a life event that set you back from achieving your goals in the past, use it as a lesson to grow and move forward so you can handle a similar situation differently in the future.
- Breathe. It’s critical to take time to practice deep breathing – at the beginning of your day, when you have a midday break, or before bedtime. Deep breaths cue the brain to calm down and allow you to refocus or slow your thoughts.
- Surround yourself with supportive people. Reach out to me, your independent OPTAVIA Coach, or others in OPTAVIA’s Community to talk through any challenges you may be facing on your health journey. Use your social network or call a positive friend or family member.
- Thanks Dr. A.
- Ask me, your OPTAVIA Coach, for more ways to “keep your glass full” on your journey to Lifelong Transformation, One Healthy Habit at a Time.