Summer is right around the corner and when I think of summer I think of cookouts and picnics. Here are some great tips to enjoy the summer events without losing the healthy habits you have created on the Take Shape for Life progam.
Health and Happiness, Dr. A and Lori
Healthy Tips for Picnic Celebrations
Special celebrations or any picnic can cause break downs in our otherwise healthy Take Shape for Life eating plan. It is extremely important to be very aware that picnics can pack thousands of calories that we would not normally indulge in. So, what should you do?
1. Continue to practice your healthy eating habits on the picnic day. Do not skip meals or save calories for the “big meal”. That sets you up to overeat!!!
2. If going to a party or picnic, offer to bring an appetizer and side dish. That way you can guarantee their will be healthy choices for you.
3. Be watchful of your portions and choose NOT to have the desert!! Instead, maybe bring a box of sugar free popcicles to share with the crowd or have a cup of coffee instead!.
4. Make sure that you do not slack off from your daily exercise routine the day of the picnic. Try adding 10 or 15-minute brisk walks twice that day with available family members or the other picnic goers. Plan active activities such as crochet, bike riding, or taking a hike instead of sitting around and talking or watching TV.
5. If you are throwing the picnic, have lots of vegetables available, instead of chips only. Prepare lower fat dips and offer salsa. Explain to your guests in advance your determination to make this a healthier celebration, and ask them to keep this in mind when preparing any dish they may be bringing.
6. Stay away from high calorie beverages such as sodas, juices, smoothies, and blended coffee drinks. There are nearly 150 calories in one 12-ounce can of soda or juice. Smoothies and coffee drinks are often 250-500 calories, excluding the whipped cream. Alcohol is packed full of calories and carbs. It can also cause you to let down your defenses and overeat or make poor food choices. All of these indulgences will kick you out of the fat burning stage and you’ll have to start over (in a sense).
7 Make sure to have a Medifast supplement before going to the picnic… ALWAYS plan ahead.
8. At the picnic choose healthy foods and stay away from the chips and bread and corn.
9. If the holiday party is at your house, send some of the left-overs home with your guests, especially the desserts!!
10. Remember to eat slowly, which will help you to eat less and feel full and satisfied.
11. During special, long weekends, make your goal to maintain your weight and not to gain any!
12. Be positive. Don’t let your weight and cravings take control of you.
13. Holiday traveling, don’t forget to pack your convenient Medifast meals! Put Medifast in zip lock bags and use them to cushion around items in your suitcase. Also bring a cooler full of fresh vegetables and water.
14. Remember the reason for the season and focus on ‘fellowship’ and not on ‘food’!
15. Habits are habit forming… People form habits but habits transform people! Let’s Take Shape for Life! Let’s transform our thinking to become choosy about what we eat. Let’s make it a habit to select healthy foods and plan to integrate Medifast foods as part of our ‘prescription for life’!
Have a Happy and Healthy Spring and Summer Picnic Season!!!!