Tips for Surviving Special Occasions and
Other Social Events & Celebrations
Here are some good tips for surviving special events and celebrations…
Remember, that you have worked hard, whether it has been all year long, just a few months or maybe you just made the commitment for optimal health. You want to be able to survive the next 2 months’ social engagements to help you keep moving towards your weight loss goals. It’s always wise to focus on the reason for gathering, and that is to spend time with loved ones, family and friends. Many social gatherings are centered around food. This can be frustrating, scary and extremely tempting when attending a party or celebration.
Here are a few tips you can use when you are attending social gatherings:
• Don’t go hungry-try eating a meal replacement or part of your Lean and Green prior to arriving at the party. This will help curb your appetite.
• If you are invited to a party, which happens to be a potluck, this is a great opportunity to bring a healthy meal, that also fits with the TSFL program
• When you arrive at the party-and you want to partake or try food, that’s OK. Just use the smallest plate with healthy choices.
• Be mindful of your Healthy Choices, fresh vegetables, lean proteins and salad.
• Limit or skip foods that are high in calories and low in nutritional value.
• What happens when you are the host/hostess?? There are many tempting opportunities to “graze” when packing up leftovers. Divide left over’s into Lean & Green meals. Allow someone else to pack up the left overs while you wash the dishes.
• Develop a Plan of Action for Surviving an Event: Identify your personal barriers and strategy, write it down.
• Take time for yourself!! This is a very busy time to the year for people, take time to exercise and keep your body moving. Just taking a walk can give you that alone time you need to get your body moving and regroup.
• In advance ask your family and friends to forego food gifts, like wine, cheese, or candies. You may say this year, let’s get together and start focusing on that instead of the food we eat.
When going to the Mall
• Dress Comfortably
• Remember to bring your meal replacements with you!
• Don’t let yourself get too hungry
• Always Stay Hydrated! Bring a bottled water
• Bring along sugar-free chewing gum, cut up celery sticks or another program snack option.
• Keep your mouth busy and chew away frustration without hindering your weight loss efforts.
• Wear a pedometer and keep track of your steps
• Exercise while waiting in line. Ex: Calf raises.
Many have healthy options, but the question is… WHAT food should you choose?
• Go Green (as in Lean and Green): Follow the parameters of the Lean and Green meal as closely as possible by focusing on grilled, broiled, baked or steamed protein and non-starchy vegetables.
Choose lower calorie options such as:
• Yellow mustard (1 tablespoon or 3 packets = 1 condiment option and) contains just 9 calories and 1 gram carbohydrate. Avoid those that are piled high with high fat meats and cheeses or that have a lot of extras such as croutons, crispy noodles, and/or high calorie dressings.
• Drink plenty of water as well as other zero-calorie beverages.
Just say “NO THANK YOU”. It’s really OK. no need to provide any explanation AT ALL! Remember, that weight loss is a journey. If you slip up with an occasional treat, this will not ruin your chances of long term weight-management success. Keep a positive attitude…since attitude is everything! Develop a plan, write down your feelings, goals and your barriers. Read it from time to time. This may be just what you need to get you through the season.
Re-priinted from the Meltdown Challenge 2014