MAKE ‘HEART HEALTH’ A PRIORITY!
Now, more than ever, it is important to take time to focus on a critical element of our wellbeing that is often overlooked: our heart health.
A healthy heart is a key component of your journey to optimal health and wellbeing. Here are some actions you can take to boost your heart health and set the course for a great new year:
- Light exercise. It is essential for your heart health to do some light exercise each day. Try taking a 10-minute walk around your neighborhood or lifting some two-pound weights a few times throughout your day. Practicing this Healthy Motion will help your heart pump blood throughout your body more efficiently, allowing your heart to keep your blood pressure under control.
- Eat veggies. Vegetables contain many nutrients, particularly fiber, that are key to heart function. The nutrients help improve blood vessel function and blood circulation, which can help lower cholesterol and regulate blood pressure levels.
- Go fish. On your next trip to the grocery store, go for fish instead of red meat. Fish is often rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which can help reduce inflammation, blood clots, and irregular heartbeats. Try eating a fish full of these fatty acids 1-2 times a week in your lean and green meal to boost your heart health and function.
- Practice deep breathing. Take a few minutes each day to practice deep breathing. Sit or lie flat in a comfortable position, inhale through your nose, and exhale through your mouth. Completing this exercise will relax your body, slow your heart rate, and ease any anxiety you might be carrying. This stress-reducing activity can help lower your blood pressure.
Ask me, your Independent OPTAVIA Coach, about other ways to keep your heart happy and healthy.
REPRINTED FROM HOH NEWSLETTER
Achieving your goals on your journey to optimal health and wellbeing encompasses more than just physical health; mental health also plays a key role. The mind is the bodies command center, so it is important that it’s being treated properly, along with the rest of your body.
Knowing how to improve your mental health will enhance your transformation experience and give you the mindset you need to accomplish your goals. Here are some tips for your supporting your mental wellness:
- Get proper rest. Getting the proper amount of sleep is critical not only for your body, but also for your mind. Getting 7-8 hours of restful sleep can provide extra energy, reduce stress, and improve your memory.
- Try something new. When you do something new, your brain is put into a situation that it has never encountered before, causing you to really think. This boost in mind activity can stimulate creativity and improve your overall mood. Get started by trying a new healthy food or hobby!
- Exercise your mind. Our brains need exercise just as much as our bodies! Try completing puzzles, playing games, reading books, writing, or painting to sharpen your mind and open new possibilities.
- Do something you enjoy. Whether it takes dusting off an old hobby or continuing to pursue an interest, make sure to take time to do something you enjoy. Doing so tends to reduce stress, lower your heart rate, and improve your mood.
- Connect with others. Connecting with other people is great for your mental health. Whether you’re swapping stories with friends and family or sharing an experience with a new connection, interacting with others improves stress levels, raises happiness, and provides intellectual stimulation that the brain craves. Reaching out to the OPTAVIA Community or me, your Coach, is a great place to start!
Ask me, your Independent OPTAVIA Coach, for other ways to improve your mental health to accelerate your journey to Lifelong Transformation, One Healthy Habit at a Time.