The 30 easiest ways to burn more calories – #1-15:
1. Reach for water before you reach for a snack. It’s the cheapest, safest appetite suppressant there is.
2. Keep the cupboards bare. You’ll save both money and temptation. By cutting back on the amount of food choices you have around, there will be less impulse snacking.
3. Do something inspiring. A cheap incentive is sticking a picture of a dress you’d really love to wear where it will motivate you. For those with a wild side, get your belly button pierced.
4. Use spices liberally. Ginger, cayenne, jalapeno peppers and Tabasco sauce can boost your fat-burning ability by up to 25%, according to a researcher at Kyoto University in Japan.
5. Sleep for weight loss. Getting enough sleep does more than keep you from eating for energy. The University of Chicago recently found that a woman’s metabolism rises 40% when she gets enough sleep.
6. Be a smart shopper. Have a list when you go to the supermarket to prevent impulse purchases. For extra exercise, leave your cart at the end of each aisle and carry what you need back to it.
7. Follow the pros’ lead. To get fit fast, models cut out the ABCs — alcohol, bread, and complex carbohydrates.
8. Beat nighttime cravings. Researchers have found that dark rooms and the darkness of night make us more likely to overeat. Try scheduling your bedtime for an hour earlier. If you have a favorite program that you like to watch at night, tape it. Switch to brighter light bulbs for cheerier surroundings, you’ll be happier and less likely to binge.
9. Always eat breakfast. It fuels you for the day and you’ll be less hungry at lunch.
10. Snack right. A hard candy is only about 20 calories and can last up to twenty minutes. A 400-calorie ice cream cone never lasts more than ten minutes.
11. Listen to feel-good music when you have the urge to binge. Researchers have found that it activates the same feel-good center of the brain that eating your favorite foods does.
12. Don’t eat unless you’ve made a place setting.
13. Drink green tea. A study conducted by the University of Switzerland discovered that drinking green tea increases the number of calories your body burns. Try to drink three cups a day.
14. Concentrate on what you’re eating. Keep food out of sight while you’re watching TV, reading, studying or answering email.
15. Get out. Try to spend twenty minutes a day sitting outside or taking a walk or, at the very least, sit by a sunny window. Sunlight helps to control food cravings.
book on your head. While you’re dusting, roll up on the balls of your feet to work your calves.
Re-print from Meltdown Challenge