BECOME A PERPETUAL MOTION MACHINE – ELEMENT 17 LIFEBOOK
In Element 17, you will learn the importance of increasing your activity level and NEW ways to increase this level by relying on the NEAT (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis) System.
The best part about NEAT is that it can be integrated into your everyday tasks. By being intentional with the NEAT System, you can burn extra calories without an intense workout or making significant changes to your lifestyle.
Here are the six NEAT categories, matched with the corresponding microHabit, including a tip to help you understand ways you can increase your daily healthy motion:
- Stance. Practice NEAT while you’re sitting. For example, while sitting in an upright chair that supports your posture, flex your stomach muscles, and take deep breaths. microHabit: Focus on the core position an extra 10 minutes per day.
- Standing. Get out of your chair as much as possible. Instead of sitting for hours, try to stand when you talk on the phone or try a standing desk when you are working on your laptop. microHabit: Add 10 additional minutes of standing per day.
- Strolling (Walking). Take standing one step further and walk whenever possible. Park your car farther away from the store to add some extra steps to your daily count. microHabit: Add 100 additional steps per week.
- Stairs. Climbing one flight of stairs is equivalent to walking 100 steps, so instead of taking the elevator, use the stairs to add even more healthy motion! microHabit: Add one additional flight of stairs per week.
- Samba (Dance). Turn on the music and start moving! Music boosts both physical and mental performance. Tapping your foot, nodding to the beat, or even singing will elevate your heartbeat. You can also try a Zumba class if you want an extra challenge. microHabit: Listen to 10 additional minutes of music per day; work up to an hour or more of dance per week.
- Switch. To switch means to do things by hand instead of using a machine. For example, instead of loading all the dishes in the dishwasher after dinner, take time to wash them by hand. microHabit: Add one or two substituted manual tasks per day.
- THANKS DR. A ~
These six categories cover the full range of muscle energy expenditure in your everyday life. By making these small daily choices, you can reach your physical goals and set the stage for exercising at your own pace!
Remember, habits are built over time and do not happen overnight. Simply using one of these tips – each day of the week – and working your way up will still have an impact.
Reach out to me, your independent OPTAVIA Coach, for more ideas about how to become a “Perpetual Motion Machine” on your journey to optimal health and wellbeing.