|When setting your health and wellness goals in the new year, understanding your WHY is essential. In Element 01 of Your LifeBook, Co-founder of OPTAVIA and independent OPTAVIA Coach, Dr. Wayne Scott Andersen, tells us that identifying your WHY is critical for creating lasting changes as we embark or continue our journey to optimal health and wellbeing.
Your WHY will motivate you while you are on this journey and help turn your new, healthy behaviors into lasting habits. Here are some tips for identifying and putting your WHY into action:
- Be thoughtful. When identifying your WHY, make sure it is authentic and intrinsically motivating to you and your story. The more personal you make your WHY, the more motivated you will be to reach your goals and avoid temptations.
- Know that your WHY will change. As you begin to accomplish some of your health and wellness goals, you will develop new ones for yourself. With these new goals, will come new WHYs. Expand and strengthen your WHY as you continue to transform. This will help maximize your growth.
- Write it down. After you have carefully chosen your WHY, write it down three times so that it occupies a concrete space in your mind and in your life. Place sheets of paper in places you will see throughout the day, such as your refrigerator, bedside table, bathroom mirror, or dashboard.
- Say it out loud. Say your WHY out loud with conviction multiple times a day. Say it when you wake up, before bed, and any time throughout the day when you may encounter temptation. Don’t be afraid to say your goal out loud in front of others. Focusing on improving your health and wellbeing is nothing to be embarrassed about!
- Envision your success. In your head, envision a scene where your goal is fulfilled. Doing so will help you experience your WHY and make your goal feel more real.
- Say, “YES”. Throughout all phases of your transformational journey, from identifying your WHY to achieving your end goals, positive reinforcement is key. Repeating “yes” statements to yourself will help encourage you to remain steadfast in achieving your best self. For example, say “YES” to the person you want to become, and do your best to say “NO” to temptation.
- Thanks Dr. A!
Identifying your WHY is the first step of your transformation journey. Committing to actions based on your WHY will give you confidence and momentum needed to achieve your goals.
Ask me, your independent OPTAVIA Coach, for additional tips on how to define your personal WHY as you embark or continue your journey to Lifelong Transformation, One Healthy Habit at a Time.
TRY THIS….LOOKS SO YUMMY~
|YIELD: 1 SERVING
PER SERVING: 1 LEAN, 3 GREEN, 2 CONDIMENTS
TOTAL TIME: 30 MINUTES
1 bone-in chicken leg, skin removed
¼ tsp kosher salt, divided
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
1½ cups broccoli florets
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Remove any visible fat from the chicken, and thoroughly rub in 1/8 teaspoon of salt and pepper until the salt dissolves.
- Place the chicken on a small sheet pan and bake for 10 minutes.
- Arrange the broccoli florets tightly next to the chicken on the sheet pan and continue to bake for another 13 minutes until broccoli is tender and the chicken is well-browned with an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/8 tsp of salt onto the broccoli and enjoy.
Air Fryer Method: Cook the chicken at 400°F for 10 minutes in the air fryer, then add the broccoli and continue to cook for another 5 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.