|We’ve all heard the old sayings “look on the bright side” or “view the glass as half full”, but why is positive thinking necessary for achieving Optimal Health and Wellbeing? Positive thinking can give you more confidence, improve your mood, and combat negative thoughts, which can lead to chronic stress and contribute to other health problems. Here are some tips for creating a positive mindset:
- Positive Affirmations: Positive self-talk can calm you down and control stress. Try starting your day by talking to yourself in a positive way. Instead of saying, “I can’t do this”, try “I can handle this by taking one step at a time.”
- Turn setbacks into “set forwards”. Instead of focusing on your setback, use this opportunity as a lesson to grow and move forward.
- Breathe. Take some reflective time to do a breathing exercise at the beginning of your day or when you have a midday break. Deep breaths cue the brain to calm down, allowing you to refocus.
- Surround yourself with positive people. Reach out to your OPTAVIA Coach or OPTAVIA’s supportive Community to talk through any challenges you are having on your health journey. Make use of your social network or get in touch with a friend to seek advice.
Recognizing how our thoughts are structured is the next step toward transforming unhealthy habits to healthy habits when faced with a difficult or uncomfortable situation. This practice is easier if you use Stop. Challenge. Choose.®:
- Stop. Take a slow, deep breath to help control your emotions. Recognize that you are triggering an unhealthy habit. Pausing and taking a breath helps to regain control.
- Challenge. Think about why you are responding to the situation the way you are. Remind yourself of your goals and the choices you should make to reach these goals.
- Choose. Make the healthy choice that gives you a similar reward but is much better for your long term health.
Ask me, your OPTAVIA Coach, about other tips for creating a healthy mindset on your journey to Lifelong Transformation, One Healthy Habit at a Time®.