Tips for building a healthy relationship with your thoughts.
Although many of us associate fitness with healthy eating and healthy motion, the way we think and feel can also have a major influence on our health. Positive thinking includes encouraging self-talk and optimism. There are many benefits of having an optimistic mindset, including effective stress management, increased focus, and more confidence.
Consider these tips when building a healthy relationship with your thoughts:
- Say positive affirmations. Positive affirmations can relax you and control stress. Instead of saying, “I can’t do this”, try “I will take this one step at a time.” This can help break down a seemingly overwhelming task into smaller, manageable steps. Remember, it helps to adopt positive believing in addition to positive thinking as you embrace these affirmations.
- Live in the present. Some sources of negativity can stem from memories or the uncertain future. You can’t change the past, so focus your energy on the present instead. You will likely realize that the situation is not as bad as you imagined.
- Redirect your thoughts. Create happy thoughts, imagine your happy place, or give yourself positive feedback to help keep negative thoughts at bay. This can help redirect your thoughts when you start to feel stressed or anxious.
- Believe you will succeed. It can be helpful to “think backwards” and visualize yourself reaching your long-term goal or completing your project successfully. Envisioning exactly what you’d like to accomplish can help cultivate positivity and can motivate you to reach your goal.
- Give yourself credit. Instead of focusing on what could go wrong, acknowledge what is going right. Give yourself credit for your progress and allow yourself to feel confident about your accomplishments.
While we may not be able to change certain factors about lives, like where we live, our jobs, or our families, we can utilize the techniques above to challenge negative thoughts and approach our setbacks with positivity, especially as we begin the first month of the New Year.
Ask me, your OPTAVIA Coach, about other ways to build a happy relationship with your thoughts on your journey to Lifelong Transformation, One Healthy Habit at a Time